Thursday, May 5, 2011

R.I.P. Jackie Cooper

Actor Jackie Cooper died yesterday at 88.  For people, of my generation, I am quite sure we know him best as Perry White, the editor of the Daily Planet in the original four, Christopher Reeve Superman movies.



(By the way, its really hard to find embeddable Superman  clips that feature Cooper for some reason.)




When someone passes away, it goes without saying, that you tend to find out things about people you might not have known about them. Like I said, it goes without saying. But I found that Jackie Cooper's story, which I didn't realize was that he was one of the few in Hollywood to parlay his childhood acting success into an actual, long term career. He started out in the old Our Gang shorts, became one of the youngest actors, at 9, to be nominated for an Oscar, and was apparently one of MGM's first studio stars in the 1930's. I had no idea. Anyway, read the AV Club article, where I borrowed most of this from, is really good and should be checked out. Yeah, I'm being lazy

No comments:

Post a Comment