Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Avengers (2012) (27/50 Movies)

I've really come around on this Joss Whedon fella in the past month. I'm not kidding about that, I mentioned this before in my Cabin In The Woods review, I was never a fan before, I know Buffy fans might be incredulous, but yeah, wasn't into his stuff before. But this past month might have made me a believer, not that I'd go back and watch Buffy or anything else now, but I might be more attune to his future efforts. I could go on and on about this movie, how he gets the characters right, in particular Bruce Banner and Tony Stark (Stark in Iron Man 2 became smug and unlikeable, here he is just snarky and egotistical). I mean he managed to give the characters here better stories and story arcs then they even had in their own movies, and there are a bunch of them here. It's fun, the action scenes are genuinely thrilling and well-done, crazily upping the ante in the end, and it's actually funny. Take away all the "saving the world stuff" and this could have been a well-done workplace comedy starring superheroes in their secret lair. There might be something to all this "best comic book movie ever" talk in that it is really a comic book movie with bright colors and all that never feels cheesy. It's different from Christopher Nolan's Batman movies because, even though those were still about a millionaire dressing up as a bat to fight bad guys, they always seemed so much more grounded in reality, if that seems right, especially in comparison to The Avengers. Joss Whedon obviously loves and is invested these characters and it comes across greatly in the actual movie.  It might some of the most fun I've had at the movies in a while. I mean, it's not without it's flaws, of course, but the good here outweighs that, I think. Also there is a great cameo in here that NO ONE seems to be talking about.

-Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment