Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972-of course)




I've mentioned before that I am, by no means, an expert in Hammer Horror films, although I'd like to see more. While they are, obviously, never great filmmaking, thus far my experience has always been entertaining. And watching Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee make absolute mincemeat of their scenery is a real special pleasure. Here, the Count, played by Lee, is resurrected by some devil worshipping hippies and wakes up in swinging 70's Chelsea. Peter Cushing (Grand Moff Tarkin-Never Forget) plays Van Helsing, the vampire hunter's, grandson (or great grandson, I forget). Anyway, its pretty awesome to watch these two pros go toe to toe in a pretty ridiculous setting. Hammer Horror never really aspired to be great filmmaking, and if they stay this entertaining, then, well, they've definitely done their job.

Oh, and you don't believe devil worshipping hippies existed? Think again. I just learned of this song a few months ago from a mixtape of 60's music made by a DJ called Alphabethead. Sometimes I get bored (and annoyed) with hearing about the sixties, and sometimes I find something like this to remind how wild the sixties could really get.

Come To The Sabbat by Black Widow

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment