Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I Am Love (2010)


Recently reading my fellow blogger and friends' top ten favorite films list I realized that there was actually a fair amount I had actually missed in 2010. Which is actually okay, since that just means that there was more goodness out there to catch up on. Case in point, I Am Love. Here's the thing: it looks beautiful, Tilda Swinton is amazing (she plays a Russian immigrant turned matriarch of a wealthy, Italian family) so she has to speak Italian, but with a bit of a Russian accent. She's really good. Oh, and Pedro is right, John Adams score is really amazing too. Ever since I watched it last night I keep going over the ending in my mind, and here's where I am not so sure. I don't want to give too much away plotwise or anything else, and I am not sure if it is an Italian thing where emotions are blown (some might say overblown) into  huge melodrama or what-they are a passionate people after all. Maybe the fact that it has stayed on my mind so vividly says a lot right there. But there is a lot to recommend here, even if it is somewhat overblown.

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment